As we move towards the icy and snowy weather, broken bones from slips and falls are a real worry. The safe and effective management of these injuries can prevent further damage and promote faster and more complete healing.
First make sure that it is safe for you to help a casualty, if there is any danger, remove it but don’t move the casualty unless they are in danger.
Assess the injury
- Keep injury still
- Keep casualty warm
- Cover any wound but do not bandage
Dial 999 or 112 if:
- there is suspected injury to spine, head or neck
- Casualty has difficulty breathing
- There is deformity, irregularity or unnatural movement
- Fracture is an open fracture
- Casualty is in a lot of pain
- You can’t easily get the casualty to hospital whilst keeping the injury still